1. Ryan Leaf – Second pick overall who was 0-1 in playoffs and is more known for infamous outburst after playoff loss: “Just don’t f—ing talk to me, all right!”. Another on-camera incident involved Leaf confronting a heckling Charger fan during a practice session. Two coaches had to restrain Leaf and escort him off the field. He finished his rookie year with QB rating of 39. Leaf also allegedly lied about a hand injury in order to get out of practice so that he could play golf instead. Leaf finished his career with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.
2. JaMarcus Russell – Another first overall pick who was basically a child in man’s body. Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed. In three seasons with the Raiders, Russell finished 7-18 as a starter before his release on May 6, 2010 after ballooning up to 290 lbs. On September 26, 2010, Russell had moved to Houston, Texas, and was working out with former NBA standout and head coach John Lucas and was also consulting with him as a ‘life coach.’ In April 2011, Lucas, who had become frustrated with Russell’s lack of work ethic, reportedly severed all ties with the quarterback and asked him to leave the Houston area.
3. Brian Bosworth “boz” – bad acting? check. bad hair dew? check. Run over by Bo Jackson on mondaynight football? check. The big mouth referred to the NCAA as “National Communists Against Athletes”. In 1988, Bosworth collaborated on his autobiography with Sports Illustrated‘s Rick Reilly, in which he detailed the drug use, violence and general mayhem that existed in the Oklahoma player’s dormitory. Drafted by Seattle – Boz once flew into practice in a helicopter. He was out of pro football after playing for only two years.
4. Heath Shuler – Third pick overall in ’94 for Redskins who was out of football by ’97. Had audacity to come back to D.C. as member of House of Representatives in 2006. As a pro, his career passer rating was a 54.3. Shuler managed to complete roughly 47% of his passes and toss 19 interceptions en route to a 4-9 record across 3 seasons. Gus Frerotte, a seventh-round pick out of Tulsa, to beat him out for the starting job.
5. Lawrence Phillips – sixth overall pick by rams who then shipped Jerome “hall of fame” Bettis of out town. Phillips was sentenced to 10 years of jail in ’08 after. running his car thru group of young men in ’06. At the time of his arrest he was wanted in San Diego for domestic abuse. While serving this sentence Lawrence Phillips was convicted for assault on his then-girlfriend and was sentenced to 31 years in prison. He will be 65 when he gets out of prison.
No related posts.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more great content just like it.